What is Kiwanis?
Kiwanis is a global organization of volunteers dedicated to changing the world, one child and one community at a time.
- The name stems from a North American Indian phrase meaning: “We make noise.”
- Founded in Detroit, Michigan in 1915
- Headquarters in Indianapolis, Indiana
- Currently has over 8 000 clubs in 71 nations, 320 000 youth members
- Supports a Major Emphasis Program “Young Children: Priority One” initiated in 1990
- Contributed more than $80 million towards the global elimination of iodine deficiency disorders (IDD), the leading preventable cause of mental retardation
Local Projects We Support
- Quinte West Minor Soccer
- Quinte West Minor Hockey
- Quinte Minor Football
- Quinte Sailability
- Trenton High School Music Program
- Trenton High School Rugby
- Trenton High School Outer Limits
- THS & St. Pauls Bursary
- St. Paul’s High School Rugby, Bursary and Youth Program
- Quinte West Santa Claus Parade
- Quinte West July 1st Fireworks
- Salvation Army
- Hastings Prince Edward Science Fair
- Quinte Symphony Youth Orchestra
- Quinte West YMCA
- Quinte West Community Policing
- Camp Trillium
- Boy Scouts
- Trenton Memorial Hospital Foundation
How We Fund our Service Projects
Some of our main activities and fund-raising projects are:
- Quinte West Home and Leisure Show
- Kiwanis Walleye Live Release Derby (31 years running)
- Charity Golf Classic (more than 20)
- Our Annual Salvation Army Luncheon (60 years and counting)
Why be a Kiwanian?
Kiwanians will not become wealthy because of their membership in our club. However, as a Kiwanian, a member will acquire:
- A wider circle of friends
- Association with persons in a variety of professions and occupations, here and elsewhere
- Opportunities to develop interests and leadership skills including public speaking, chairing meetings, and organizational and time management skills
- Opportunities for regular relaxation, and enjoyable fellowship at the meetings
- An opportunity for your family to join with other Kiwanians’ families in lasting friendships and community service
- A feeling of satisfaction from associating with people who are as willing as you to make this community an even better place in which we live
- An opportunity to give back to your community
- More familiarity with your community and community members
You and Trenton will be much richer because you joined the Kiwanis Club of Trenton
Objectives of Kiwanis
- To give primacy to the human and spiritual rather than to the material values of life.
- To encourage the daily living of the “Golden Rule” in all relationships.
- To promote the adoption and application of higher social, business and professional standards.
- To develop, by precept and example, a more intelligent, aggressive and serviceable citizenship.
- To provide through Kiwanis Clubs, practical means to form enduring friendships, to render altruistic service and to build better communities.
- To cooperate in creating and maintaining that sound public opinion and high idealism which make possible the increase of righteousness, justice, patriotism, and good will.
Kiwanis International is divided into districts Kiwanis Trenton is part of Eastern Canada and the Caribbean
Kiwanis Trenton Information
The Trenton Kiwanis Club isn’t about just doing service work. Our emphasis is on building lifelong friendships within the mutual desire to help our community. Outside of our regular meetings and fundraisers we also have:
- Fun activities with our wives and or with “Friends of Kiwanis”.
- Summer meetings at members homes, dinner at Club 213 at Loyalist College, Euchre and Poker Tournaments with wives and friends…
Our membership currently includes 30 members with an average age of 45 with the following professions: Managers, independent contractors, realtors, accountant, business owners, funeral home directors, IT developers, authors, marketers, independent professionals and some retired gentlemen.
When Does Trenton Kiwanis Meet?
Every Thursday evening at 6:15pm at the Trenton Curling Club on King Street in Trenton.
If you’d like to know more or would like to come and see if Kiwanis is right for you just send us an email and come and see what we’re about.